SUM Gallery, Canada’s only queer multidisciplinary gallery, is honored to host Adrian Stimson’s debut of their most recent work for the gallery’s second exhibition of the year, Naked Napi.
Adrian Stimson: Naked Napi
Exhibition Dates: Sept 8, 2018 to Dec 8, 2018 – Tuesday to Saturday, 12 to 6pm – by donation
Artist Talk: Sept 6, 2018 – 7pm to 9pm, in Full Circle studio, suite #416 Exhibition Opening: Sept 8, 2018 – 2 to 4pm, in SUM gallery, suite #425
Curated by SD Holman
Presentation partner: Full Circle – First Nations Performances
About the Exhibition
Napi is a character from traditional stories of the Siksika (Blackfoot) nation. Often referred to as the “Old Man” who came from the sun, Napi alongside the “Old Woman” are known as quasi-creators in these stories.
Naked Napi presents Adrian Stimson’s new site specific installation.
Through this collection, Naked Napi reimagines the traditional tales of Napi in the present. Where the intersections of indigeneity, sexuality and Two-Spirit identities are drawn to the forefront in this retelling. It is a display of reclamation that challenges the colonial erasure of Indigenous bodies, power and sexual histories.
Read more about the works presented and the artist at: https://queerartsfestival.com/adrian-stimson-naked-napi/
ACCESS & ACCESSIBILITY
The address is 268 Keefer St, between Main St and Gore Ave. The SUM gallery is located on the 4th floor, suite 425.
The gallery is open Tuesday – Saturday 12 – 6pm, closed on Sunday, Monday and stat holiday.
Skytrain: Main Street-Science World or Stadium-Chinatown;
Bus: 22 on Gore; 03, 08, 19 on Main; 14, 16, 20 on Hastings.
– There is a paid parkade as part of the building, that unfortunately closes at 7pm. After 7pm, we recommend people to park at EasyPark at Keefer and Quebec St or street parking.
Accessibility: This location has not yet had an accessibility audit.
– Building entrance is street level with no steps at front entrance. The front doors of the building are locked at 7:00 pm, so call 778-323-3593 to be let in after that.
– There is a ramp with a hand rail to reach the elevator.
– Washrooms are accessible & non gendered, doors will be propped open.
– The front door of our suite has an automatic door operator.
– The gallery space has no windows.
– Our events are scent reduced.
– There will be ASL interpretation.
– BC Artscape is dog-friendly, so you may encounter some furry friends in common areas and elevators and in our suite.
Please let us know if you have any requests or need more information email@example.com