- This event has passed.
Karin Lee: QueerSUM 心 [opening]
May 12 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Opening: May 12 2 – 4pm
Exhibition: May 12 – August 18 (Tuesday – Saturday 12-6pm)
Curated by Paul Wong and SD Holman
Presentation Partner: On Main Gallery
Queer-sum a “Chinglish” translation and play on the words Queer Love, alludes to queer attraction that people experience, even though they believe themselves to be straight identified – or queer-sum (sum=heart=love).
QueerSUM心 presents three of Karin Lee’s media works: a 2-channel remix of her classic 16mm film My Sweet Peony Remix, a fantastical drama shot in the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Gardens; Portrait of a Girl, a documentary shot in Beijing; and Small Pleasures, a period drama set in Barkerville BC.
The works not only investigate sentiments of being “Queer-sum,” but pay tribute to Vancouver’s Chinatown—where Lee spent her childhood—and examine the underlying racism which contributed to the very creation of “Chinatowns” amidst the colonization of Indigenous peoples.
Read more about the works presented and the artist at: https://queerartsfestival.com/queersum-show-karin-lee/
ACCESS & ACCESSIBILITY
The address is 268 Keefer St, between Main St and Gore Ave. The SUM gallery is located on the 4th floor, suite 425.
Skytrain: Main Street-Science World or Stadium-Chinatown;
Bus: 22 on Gore; 03, 08, 19 on Main; 14, 16, 20 on Hastings.
– There is a paid parkade as part of the building, that unfortunately closes at 7pm. After 7pm, we recommend people to park at EasyPark at Keefer and Quebec St or street parking.
Accessibility: This location has not yet had an accessibility audit.
– Building entrance is street level with no steps at front entrance
– There is a ramp to reach the elevator
– Washrooms are accessible & non gendered, doors will be propped open
– The automatic door operators haven’t arrived yet but the main doors will be propped open.
– Our events are scent reduced.
– ASL interpretation will be provided.
Please let us know if you have any requests or need more information.
Note that BC Artscape is dog-friendly, so you may encounter some furry friends in common areas and elevators and in our suite.
Our licensing requires all attendees at our evening shows to carry membership cards in the Pride in Art Society. Memberships are $5 / $2 (concession) online or at the QAF Box Office at the Roundhouse. Please allow a few extra minutes at your first event to obtain your card.