Bleeding Hearts & Artists 2019
February 14 @ 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm$50 – $80
Join us for a night of art and love on Thursday February 14 for our winter fundraiser, MCed by the inimitable David C. Jones!
We’re excited to announce our annual winter fundraiser Bleeding Hearts & Artists, to take place for the first time at our home in SUM Gallery. Join us to experience a soirée featuring an exclusive performance and the live unveiling of The Panther, our onsite piano lovingly donated by past Queer Arts Festival contributor Leslie Uyeda, composer of Canada’s first lesbian opera, When the Sun Comes Out, commissioned and produced for QAF on this very Piano!.
Leslie Uyeda and Rachel Kiyo Iwaasa will perform four hands piano and solo works. We are also grateful for the support of Caitlin Press, Vancouver Recital Society and many more who have donated items for our silent auction.
We are thrilled to once again have Tyler Alan Jacobs engage us in a traditional land acknowledgement as this event will take place on the sovereign, unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh peoples.
ASL interpretation will be available.
100% of funds raised will go towards supporting SUM and Queer Arts Festival programs and services. Each $80 ticket purchase will receive a $60 tax receipt; $50 ticket purchase will receive a $30 tax receipt. Refreshments drinks, appetizers and door prizes are included in the ticket price.
Get your tickets at Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bleeding-hearts-artists-2019-sum-gallery-tickets-53714688078
ACCESS AND ACCESSIBILITY
This location has not yet had an accessibility audit.
The BC Artscape-Sun Wah building is wheelchair-accessible.
– Building entrance is street level with no steps, the front doors of the building are automatic.
– Lobby has a ramp with a handrail, and stairs with a handrail, to reach the elevator.
– The fourth floor has two non-gendered multiple stalls washrooms, including one universal washroom with grab bars and wheelchair clearance. The washroom entrance is 32 inches wide.
– Support animals are welcome. BC Artscape is dog-friendly.
– The front door of our suite is 32 inches wide, swinging inward. The automatic door operator is at 35 inches high.
– Our events are scent-reduced. Please refrain from wearing cologne, perfume, scented personal care products or essential oils. Visitors who wear scented products will be asked to leave.
– The gallery space has no windows.
– The gallery floor is flat, with no internal stairs.
– Chairs are without arms.
– ASL interpretation will be available
Transportation & Parking:
The address is 268 Keefer St., between Main St. and Gore Ave. The SUM gallery is located on the 4th floor, suite 425.
Skytrain: Main Street-Science World or Stadium-Chinatown; Bus: 22 on Gore; 03, 08, 19 on Main; 14, 16, 20 on Hastings.
There is a paid parkade as part of the building, that unfortunately closes at 7pm. After 7pm, we recommend people to park at EasyPark – Lot 7 and the address is 180 Keefer Street; or street parking.
We respectfully acknowledge that this event will take place on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded Indigenous territories of the wməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) First Nations. We recognize their sovereignty, as there are no treaties on these lands, and we are dedicated to building a new relationship between our nations based on respect and consent.
We would also like to acknowledge that this event is taking place in Chinatown, which is home to low income and Chinese immigrant communities. We are thankful and consider it a privilege to be able to do our sharing here.
Our licensing requires all attendees at our evening shows to carry membership cards in the Pride in Art Society. Memberships are $5 / $2 (concession) online or at the QAF Box Office at the Roundhouse. Please allow a few extra minutes at your first event to obtain your card.